Kingsway Park High School Careers Information Advice and Guidance (CEIAG) for students, parents and employers
There are many options available to young people at different stages of their education. “What to choose? Which route to take?” etc can be confusing. There are lots of exciting possibilities. Kingsway Park High School believes it is important that students are given access to good quality, impartial advice and guidance about courses, careers and their general wellbeing for the future. We want every young person in the school to be able to make the right choices for their future and to be confident about those choices. Our Careers Policy, outlining our aims and provision, is available under the Policy and Guidance section of our website and an outline of our core events for this academic year is available on this page below.
Partnership with parents is important in this and please feel free to contact school should you want to ask any questions, seek clarification or ask for assistance.
Main staff in School
Mrs P Cliff works for Positive Steps and is the Kingsway Park Careers Adviser. She can help students with impartial careers information, advice and guidance. Mrs Cliff is in school on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday; her office is in the Careers Hub in the Aspiration Centre. She will see all Y10/Y11 students for at least one 30 minute interview as they consider their Post-16 options. However, Mrs Cliff is also available at lunchtimes for a drop-in appointment or to arrange further appointments.
Ms Ozluk is our Careers Mentor and is available for students for drop- in appointments at break/lunchtime in the Careers Hub. She is also the first point of call for parents/carers and employers. She can be contacted via the Careers email address – email@example.com
Mr I Carey is the Careers SLT link and as part of his role leads the Y8 GCSE option progress as well as overseeing the work of the Careers department.
All staff can refer students to the Careers Team for further guidance or information. Furthermore, all new staff (as part of their induction programme) receive training from the Careers Team and every year there is a full staff LMI briefing.
At Kingsway Park High School, we work hard to put in place a range of careers opportunities from Y7 to Y11. As well as the Y8 option progress, the Future pathways programme of events for Y10/11, and the annual careers fair, we regularly have local employers/providers running lunchtime sessions. For an overview of the events, please refer to the Careers Action plan below.
There are lots of things to think about when you leave school. To help you choose what to do next, you need to think about:
1. What career do you want to do in the future? – Some jobs need you to choose certain routes to get into them. Research the industries you are interested in at the Careerpoint website
2. Or the job profiles on National Careers Service website
3. Your predicted grades. It is the duty of Kingsway Park to make it clear to students that if you do not achieve your Grade 4 or above in Mathematics and English by the end of year 11, you will be required to continue to study these at Sixth Form, College or as part of an Apprenticeship up to the age of 19.
4. How you prefer to learn. You might enjoy school and might like to continue in a School Sixth Form or a Sixth Form College to do A-Levels; you might prefer more hands-on ways of doing things by attending a vocational Further Education College or a University Technical College (UTC) or you may want to consider an Apprenticeship whereby you will be employed in a job and completing recognised qualifications in that industry – earning while you are learning!
5. Unsure or have any questions? Pop into the Careers Hub in the Aspiration Centre to have a chat or to book an appointment with Mrs Cliff or Ms Ozluk.
At Kingsway Park High, we believe partnership with parents is important in ensure the best possible outcomes for our students. Please feel free to contact Ms Ozluk should you want to ask any question, seek clarification or ask for assistance.
As part of your child’s journey at Kingsway Park, you will invited to two key career events. In Y8 we run a pathways evening to ensure that yourself and your child has all the information needed to make the right GCSE choices and then secondly, in Y10, a Future Pathways Evening to support your child in moving on to their next steps after Kingsway Park High School. At both of these events there will be a presentation from Mrs Cliff on the Local Labour Market. Your attendance to these two events would be very much appreciated. There will always be opportunities to feedback any suggestions and comments at such events.
What is RPA?
Raising the participation age
The age to which all young people in England are required to continue in education or training has been increased as of 2014. Students must now continue in some form of education, training or employment until at least their 18th birthday.
This does not mean young people must stay in school. They will be able to choose from:
At Kingsway Park High School, we are always on the lookout to develop strong links with local/national employers and Post-16 providers. During the academic year, we host a number of employer talks, college and university trips and presentations as well as an annual career fair. Our CEAIG provider Access policy is available under the Policy and Guidance section of our website. If you would like to get involved with any of these opportunities please contact Ms Ozluk for further information at firstname.lastname@example.org